Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's (Steel) Curtains for the Cardinals

I made two Steelers-related observations during my trip to the grocery store today. The first was Troy Polamalu on the cover of Sports Illustrated. So of course I was all saucy because of the SI cover curse (but I bought it anyway). Then someone kindly pointed out that they may have a Cardinals cover for the West Coast. I did some online research and was pleased to discover there are two covers this week. Whew.

The Steelers have been on the cover of SI quite a few times this season, and it hasn't seemed to hurt them. Here's hoping that streak continues. My favorite Steelers cover this season wasn't on SI, but ESPN the Magazine. It featured the entire Steelers D, including my personal favorite, Casey Hampton. I swear that Big Snack almost never plays in the 4th quarter because he's worn out by then. Also, he's probably hungry. Love him.






My other Steelers moment at the grocery store occurred on my way out. I noticed black and gold signs taped to the door stating that the store would close at 6:00 pm on Superbowl Sunday, and would not reopen until 8:00 am on Monday morning. This is normally a 24-hour grocery store. It cracked me up, but made sense at the same time. First, I'm sure the owners would expect all of their employees to call in sick that day. Second, who the hell in Pittsburgh is going to be grocery shopping immediately before, during, or after the Superbowl?!?!?
I've since heard of a few other businesses closing up early on Sunday evening. Hopefully the hospitals will manage to stay open.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren are you at all concerned about the game on Sunday? Do the Cardinals have any chance?

    ReplyDelete